ParserComp 2021: Results are up!

The home for all discussion of competitions for ADRIFT and multiformat IF
Denk

ParserComp 2021: Results are up!

Post by Denk »

Hi, ParserComp 2021 has been announced.
:bravo:
It hasn't been held since 2015. If it is a success, I can imagine it will return again already next year.

Perhaps it will pull some parser games from IFComp. I am sure all games will get reviews.

And as it is held on itch.io, your game gets ratings in several (currently unknown) categories, though only the overall category decides how the game is ranked. Still, it would be interesting to get feedback in all those categories such as puzzles, parser, atmosphere etc.

Main post:
https://intfiction.org/t/parsercomp-202 ... post/49424

Time table:
May & June - Submission Window Open
July - Voting Window
August 1st - Results Announced
Last edited by Denk on Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Re: ParserComp 2021 announced, held this summer

Post by Denk »

ParserComp's competition page has been launched recently:
https://itch.io/jam/parsercomp-2021

Could be great with a few ADRIFT entries...
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Post by Denk »

I intend to participate. Anyone else?
You have 50 days from now to submit your game :claps:

More info here: https://itch.io/jam/parsercomp-2021
The Bash Saga:
rovarsson

Post by rovarsson »

I intend to play and vote. Anyone else?

And if my count is accurate, you have 52 days from now to submit your game 😊
Denk

Post by Denk »

rovarsson wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:58 am I intend to play and vote. Anyone else?
Great, without players, it wouldn't be much fun :yeah:
rovarsson wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:58 amAnd if my count is accurate, you have 52 days from now to submit your game 😊
Yes, that's more accurate :)
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Post by Denk »

Denk wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:50 pm More info here: https://itch.io/jam/parsercomp-2021
A reminder. Now there are 9 days left if you want to participate in ParserComp 2021.

More info here: https://itch.io/jam/parsercomp-2021
The Bash Saga:
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

So just glancing at the thread, there seem to be a large number of entrants to this....45? More? Of course it depends on the amount that end up with a completed game, but the numbers are interesting. If we consider that every entrant WOULD have been in the IFComp instead, that will spread the games out and take a lot of pressure off voters at the end of the year. Which I think is ultimately a good thing and if this becomes the norm it might finally release parser IF from that two hour yoke (which in reality is probably more often 15 minutes from a player with ADD who is in a hurry).

On the other hand, that will mean the IFComp is left even more dominated by non parser games. So it could be seen as traditional parser IF authors nurturing this thing for almost 30 years until it became quite high profile and lucrative as far as the prize money, and then meekly withdrawing to let Choicescript and Twine have its way with their daughter...uh, contest.

Adrift meanwhile is still in this weird no man's zone, with most of the veterans writing traditional IF, but games like Theo's getting the most attention and newer members seeming more interested in RPGs and the like. (Which is understandable since Adrift by far the best tool for those among the traditional IF programs out there, and seems to have been designed to handle a lot more possibilities than a normal IF game will ever touch on.)
Denk

Post by Denk »

Yes, it is quite interesting. If it ends up being an annual thing, it will probably have a big impact on IFComp.
The Bash Saga:
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

I will have to look into that. It sounds interesting.
Are the rules anything like the ones in the IF Comp?
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 135Kb (My entry for the parser Comp 2022 :wink: )
Denk

Post by Denk »

P/o Prune wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:05 am I will have to look into that. It sounds interesting.
Are the rules anything like the ones in the IF Comp?
They are quite similar, though only parser games can be entered. And voting is 1-5 stars as it is held at itch.io. Also, you don't need to register before you submit your game.

You can read the rules on this page: https://itch.io/jam/parsercomp-2021
The Bash Saga:
David Whyld

Post by David Whyld »

This does sound very interesting. I've always considered parser and CYOA to be different kinds of games so I like the idea of a competition which focuses on each separately. If this comp proves a success, hopefully we'll see it become the main focus of parser games from now on.
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

David Whyld wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:01 pm This does sound very interesting. I've always considered parser and CYOA to be different kinds of games so I like the idea of a competition which focuses on each separately. If this comp proves a success, hopefully we'll see it become the main focus of parser games from now on.
Realistically I don't think any sort of hard guidelines for the IF Comp would ever work, just because of all the room for uncategorizeable things in between the two extremes, and the vastness in what can count as a 'text game'. (Which in itself narrows things down a lot more than current definitions of the meaningless umbrella term "IF"....pretty much any game with a plot is "interactive" and "fiction", and even in the IF Comp a focus on text isn't a strict requirement anymore.

But a separate parser comp and a separate CYOA comp? I could see that being a lot more tempting to players who had a strong preference for one or the other, or authors who wanted feedback from people who didn't have an automatic prejudice against the format used.

The IFComp of course would still exist for people who wanted the grab bag (and for works of IF that can't be categorized as either, like most of what Theo writes), but it wouldn't have such a death grip on the community at the expense iof all else. Some of that prize money would be spread around as people donate to whatever holds their interest more, and it would hopefully not still be the same handful of people in control of absolutely everything.

The Spring Thing hasn't felt relevant in years, maybe that could be repurposed into one of them and finally have some kind of focus again.

Of course a lot of this is just fantasizing, I'm not getting my hopes up too far for dramatic shakeups over the next few years. The IF community as a whole has always been stubborn and contrary, it seems to violently resist good changes, and then willingly embrace detrimental ones.
BattleoftheBased

Post by BattleoftheBased »

Was Spring Thing the one Price of Freedom was in?

I wonder if I could finish a game in time for this contest though, if there's still a week left. Is there a minimum size?

Although I prefer to come out with a big game that's done right the first time, I wonder if rushing something like this and getting more players would get me some useful ideas of things I need to work on. And I have a lot more free time this week than normal.
Denk

Post by Denk »

BattleoftheBased wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:04 pm I wonder if I could finish a game in time for this contest though, if there's still a week left. Is there a minimum size?

Although I prefer to come out with a big game that's done right the first time, I wonder if rushing something like this and getting more players would get me some useful ideas of things I need to work on. And I have a lot more free time this week than normal.
It doesn't look like there is a minimum size. However, I don't recommend entering a game that hasn't been tested by someone else, preferably at least 3 persons. You will get more feedback from testers than you will get if you submit a bugged game to a competition.
The Bash Saga:
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

I know it's tempting to just throw something together, but I don't think outside scrutiny on something that's not your best work is something to invite in any circumstance.