ARE SKATEBOARDS SOLD AT WALMART GOOD?

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.
kattiegreen

ARE SKATEBOARDS SOLD AT WALMART GOOD?

Post by kattiegreen »

Parents when it comes to picking a skateboard for their children usually go for some cheap products that are sold in toy shops, Walmart, or Target. In my opinion, they should avoid getting low-quality products from these stores at all costs since these skateboards are extremely unsafe.

Due to the low price, these boards are made from non-durable materials which can be torn apart with just a hard hit on the ground. Moreover, many riders say that these skateboards have wobbly wheels and bad concave so they find it unforgettable when riding.

The following content will show you the pros and cons of cheap skateboards at Walmart and why shouldn’t you get one? Also, I will give parents some pieces of advice on how to pick the best skateboards based on the buying guides at SkateAdvisors.

HOW BAD ARE TOY SKATEBOARDS?

With a limited pocket, you may not have other choices but a low-quality skateboard or toy skateboard. However, if you want to become a good rider, you should make an adequate investment at least to get a decent skateboard due to the following reasons:

Cheap boards are usually made of bad material and cheap wood so they are likely to break even on your first skating session.

The quality of trucks and bearings is not ensured so experiencing a dead stop or falling-apart bearings can lead to severe injuries.

Decks are constructed with one or only a couple of wooden layers; therefore, handling great impact seems to be impossible. Eventually, your skateboard will be full of chips, cracks and layers will start to tear apart.

At first, you might think that getting a cheap skateboard is an economic option but the price you have to pay for your injuries or replacing broken parts can exceed your ability. Hence, don’t let the low price and attractive appearances fool you.

WHY WALMART SKATEBOARDS ARE NOT GOOD FOR SKATERS EVEN THE BEGINNERS?

If you are looking for a “disposable” skateboard for single-use or just want to have some fun with skating and will give up right away, a cheap and low-quality product is ok. However, if you intend to pursue your passion for skateboarding, I suggest you get a decent board so as not to experience frustration or demotivation during learning.

Low-price skateboards sold at Walmart are unsafe and won’t last long. Furthermore, there are several issues that riders have reported to the manufacturers because their skateboards run into deadly troubles even on the first day.

Many new skaters, especially parents when getting a skateboard for their kids to take up this sport think that it really doesn’t matter for beginners. Struggling with balance, easy-to-fall, and wobbly wheels are common issues that frustrate novices and make them give up this fascinating sport. In case you can afford a luxury skateboard at that time, going for a good blank skateboard and upgrading to new products later is a wide strategy.

WHICH SIGNS INDICATE A GOOD SKATEBOARD?

If you don’t want to burn your pocket with hundreds of skateboards before gaining enough experience to pick the right skateboard for yourself or your children, you should read the explanation below carefully.

A good skateboard should consist of good components including a deck, trucks, grip tape, bearings, and wheels. Unfortunately, without thoroughly understanding these components, determining whether a product is good or not is not easy at all. Hence, as a beginner, you are advised to read some reviews about the best skateboards on the market. For parents looking for a board for their children, they can take a look at the article about the best kids skateboard at SkateAdvisors.

When choosing a good skateboard, the first priority is to pick a good deck which is typically made of bamboo or Canadian maple with several layers of wood. Then, beginners need to look for sturdy trucks which are able to take a beating. These parts will be useless without proper wheels and bearings that spin well and prevent wobble.

Don’t expect to find a product that has high-quality decks but other components are highly overrated. Here, getting a decent board not just ensures your performance but also saves you from fatal accidents on a cheap product.

FINAL THOUGHT

I highly recommend a blank skateboard for the best quality at a reasonable price for new skaters. Although these blank boards look not as attractive as other products, they are typically produced from good materials and components. After all, newbies need a good skateboard to learn the basics first when they can use their boards abusively before making a huge expense on luxury products.

For better consultation on which skateboard suits you the most, you should determine your needs first before heading to the local skate shops. The sellers at these stores will be happy to give you the best suggestions based on your budget.
Last edited by kattiegreen on Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denk

Re: Static object inside a static object. - how many tasks?

Post by Denk »

kattiegreen wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:18 pm Okay so I have a dial inside a cabinet, and the only way to have an object inside another object is for it to be dynamic. (I think)
That is correct.
kattiegreen wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:18 pm I've tried creating a task "get dial" and move it back into the cabinet, works for "get", do I need a separate task for take? And how is "get all" handled
This is a natural approach for people new to ADRIFT but you should try to avoid that approach whenever possible as it will result in a weak parser, which ADRIFT is known for because many neglect this advice ;)

Below I will propose what to do here, and also link to some newbie-advice you might find useful.
kattiegreen wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:18 pm How many tasks do I need to create to keep the player from taking the dial or getting the dial or getting all and still ending up with the dial?
You only need to OVERRIDE one task, that is the task "Take objects from object". You can see in the screenshot below how to do it.

You can find more advice for ADRIFT newcomers here: https://forum.adrift.co/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12082
DontGetDial.png
DontGetDial.png (20.16 KiB) Viewed 277 times
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

In your example "override" take object from object, isn't it necessary to also make an action where you place the object back in the other object?
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 135Kb (My entry for the parser Comp 2022 :wink: )
Denk

Post by Denk »

P/o Prune wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:17 am In your example "override" take object from object, isn't it necessary to also make an action where you place the object back in the other object?
No, that isn't necessary when you override a take-task. Override means that the task you are overriding will never run. Thus, the object will never be taken.

If you instead of "override" had chosen "run after", it would be necessary. But then the general task would tell the player that the object was taken, which wouldn't make much sense in this situation.
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Ok, thank you. Good to know. :yeah:
It will make life much easier for me in the future. I have always added an action where I put the object in question back where ever it was taken from.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 135Kb (My entry for the parser Comp 2022 :wink: )